Rules For My Sons
1. Never shake a man’s hand sitting down.
2. There are plenty of ways to enter a pool. The stairs aren’t one.
3. The man at the grill is the closest thing we have to a king.
4. In a negotiation, never make the first offer.
5. Act like you’ve been there before. Especially in the end zone.
6. Request the late check-out.
7. When entrusted with a secret, keep it.
8. Hold your heroes to a higher standard.
9. Return a borrowed car with a full tank of gas.
10. Don’t fill up on bread.
11. When shaking hands, grip firmly and look him in the eye.
12. Don’t let a wishbone grow where a backbone should be.
13. If you need music on the beach, you’re missing the point.
14. Carry two handkerchiefs. The one in your back pocket is for you. The one in your breast pocket is for her.
15. You marry the girl, you marry her whole family.
16. Be like a duck. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like crazy underneath.
17. Experience the serenity of traveling alone.
18. Never be afraid to ask out the best looking girl in the room.
19. Never turn down a breath mint.
20. Sit in reverance of your Creator, but remember He gave you Free Will. Do your work.
21. A sport coat is worth 1000 words.
22. Try writing your own eulogy. Never stop revising.
23. Thank a veteran. And then make it up to him or her
24. If you want to know what makes you unique, sit for a caricature.
25. Eat lunch with the new kid.
26. After writing an angry email, read it carefully. Then delete it.
27. Ask your dad to play. he’ll never let you win.
28. Open doors for people.
29. Give credit. Take the blame.
30. Write down your dreams.
31. Say “Thank you for your service.” to firefighters, police officers, military personnel etc.
32. Be proud of your efforts and accomplishments, but don’t get cute.
33. Remember this equation: E+R=O – event + response = outcome.
34. When the truth is delivered with respect, how the other person responds is their deal.
35. If you’re the smartest person in the room, you’re in the wrong room.
36. Know how to: change your oil, fix a sink, save your money and be the hero in an argument (calm it down).
37. Remember: Prayer is talking to God. Meditation is hearing from God. Get good at doing both.
38. You are 100% responsible for your own life.
39. Patience is a virtue, but slow feet don’t eat.
40. Understand the balance of confidence and humility.