Tag Archives: engine

Engine & Transmission Stabbed into Petty Tribute

Got the engine and transmission stabbed in the Petty Tribute today. I ordered an aluminum cross flow radiator, starter motor, coil holder, set of pulleys and brackets, 1-wire alternator with on-board regulator, throttle cable, 800cfm AVS2 carb, and MSD Box to distributor wire.

Need to get all of that in/on, punch a hole in the floor for the shifter and measure/order a driveshaft before we can start it up.

Taped up and wetsanded the horn button
Hit I with Primer
Hit wit the turquoise paint used on interior
Repaired the steering wheel, scuffed, wiped down, sprayed with adhesion promoter and primed. That’s when I noticed the gouged not previously seen. I’ll repair, prime again, wet sand and paint turquoise.

That’s about all that will get done on the car until next week

Update On The Petty Tribute

Engine & Transmission

The engine, clutch and transmission were mocked up, including the shifter (after the above photos). When it came time to install the starter, we found we bought the wrong Flywheel. $300 later, a new one was shipped from Summit Racing. It will be here Thursday.

Under The Hood

Heater block off plate was fabricated out of sheet aluminum, painted blank and installed. The brake master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder were mounted.

Steering Wheel

I’d bought a Grant Wheel that I thought would look good, However, Grant doesn’t make an adapter for a 60 Plymouth. I bought and tried a 61-66 Mopar and 67-69 Mopar. As opposed to cutting up a good 60 Plymouth steering wheel to make an adapter, I decided to repair and paint the one that came with the car.

There were numerous cracks and breaks in this 60-year-old steering wheel.

First I V’d out the cracks and breaks. Then I wiped down with wax and grease remover. I mixed up some JB Weld Marine Epoxy and used it as the first filler. I let it harden for three hours before spending an hour with a razor blade and brown 3M pad cleaning up the high areas.

I then mixed up some fiber reinforced filler and slathered it into the on wounds. It’s setting up. Tomorrow I’ll trim the high areas and sand to shape. I’m hoping I’ll only need to apply one last coat of filler. Then I’ll sand smooth, hit with a coat of adhesion promoter, a coat of primer and wet sand. If it looks good after that, I’ll paint. Not sure if I’ll match the interior’s turquoise or go black.

This is kinda backwards, because I need to post the car build from the beginning to present. Stay tuned, as it will be coming soon.